Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
proflie-avatar
Login
exit_to_app
Everything under the Sun
access_time 23 May 2026 12:53 PM IST
Those Dalit families should not be evicted
access_time 23 May 2026 9:30 AM IST
Lessons from the ‘Cockroach Uprising’
access_time 22 May 2026 9:30 AM IST
Trump or Xi Jinping: who appeased whom?
access_time 21 May 2026 9:30 AM IST
When the fence itself devours the crop?
access_time 20 May 2026 10:24 AM IST
DEEP READ
exit_to_app
Homechevron_rightWorldchevron_rightMassive coal mine...

Massive coal mine blast in China kills 82; 9 trapped

text_fields
bookmark_border
Massive coal mine blast in China kills 82; 9 trapped
cancel

Taiyuan: The coal mine accident in north China's Shanxi Province has left 82 dead, with nine others still trapped, according to Xinhua reporters at the site.

The gas explosion occurred on Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan County, with rescue operations currently underway.

China has dispatched six national mine emergency rescue teams, totalling 345 personnel with equipment, to assist in rescue efforts following a coal mine gas explosion in Qinyuan County, north China's Shanxi Province, the Ministry of Emergency Management said on Saturday.

A person responsible for the company involved in a coal mine gas explosion in north China's Shanxi Province has been placed under control in accordance with the law, Xinhua news agency reported quoting the rescue headquarters.

Following the incident, Chinese President Xi Jinping urged authorities to make every possible effort to rescue survivors and ensure proper treatment for the injured.

The President also asked the government to investigate the cause of the accident and hold those responsible to account.

Hundreds of rescuers have been sent to the site. Footage from state media showed paramedics carrying stretchers at the site, with ambulances in the background. More than 100 people are said to have been taken to the hospital, with rescue work at the site still underway.

The gas explosion occurred on Friday at Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan County in the city of Changzhi, resulting in heavy casualties. Rescue efforts are ongoing.

Deadly accidents were common in China's coal mining industry due to which safety standards have been tightened in recent years, but accidents still occur.

Earlier in 2025, three people were trapped following a coal mine accident in northwest China's Shaanxi Province. The accident occurred when part of an underground tunnel collapsed in Zhenping County, in the city of Ankang. Eight workers were carrying out rectification work at the site when the collapse happened, with five of them managing to escape safely.

Show Full Article
TAGS:China coal mine accidentDeaths
Next Story