Goa nightclub fire: Bombay High Court holds state liable, cites systemic failure
text_fieldsThe Bombay High Court at Goa has held the state government and the owners of the Birch by Romeo Lane nightclub accountable for compensating victims of the December 2025 fire tragedy, stating that the incident reflected deep systemic failures in governance and regulation.
A Division Bench of Justice Suman Shyam and Justice Amit Jamsandekar observed that the fire, which killed 25 people, resulted from serious regulatory lapses and amounted to a violation of fundamental rights. The court said the state could not evade responsibility on the ground that the establishment was privately owned, as enforcement of safety and licensing norms rests with the government.
Expanding the scope of the case, the bench directed all village panchayats in Goa to file affidavits detailing construction approvals, trade licences and no-objection certificates issued over the past five years. The court said coastal panchayats would face particular scrutiny to identify failures in regulating commercial and hazardous premises.
The bench expressed dissatisfaction with the ad-hoc compensation released so far and directed the state to immediately disburse full compensation to victims’ families, with liberty to recover the amount later from those found responsible. It said coercive steps, including attachment of properties of the nightclub management and other accused, could be taken to ensure recovery.
The court noted that the panchayat secretary and sarpanch concerned are already in custody and that the nightclub owners have been brought to Goa during the investigation. Authorities have been asked to disclose the assets of the accused to aid recovery.
The case arises from a late-night fire that broke out in an underground kitchen area in Arpora.
The next hearing is scheduled for February 24, 2026.



















