Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
proflie-avatar
Login
exit_to_app
DEEP READ
Ukraine
access_time 16 Aug 2023 5:46 AM
Putin
access_time 2 Jan 2025 8:06 AM
What is Christmas?
access_time 26 Dec 2024 5:49 AM
Munambam Waqf issue decoded
access_time 16 Nov 2024 5:18 PM
exit_to_app
Homechevron_rightWorldchevron_rightBodies of 4 Israeli...

Bodies of 4 Israeli hostages handed over by Hamas to Red Cross in Gaza

text_fields
bookmark_border
Bodies of 4 Israeli hostages handed over by Hamas to Red Cross in Gaza
cancel

Gaza: An Israeli security officer stated that Hamas handed over four bodies of Israeli hostages to the Red Cross in Gaza. The release comes just a few days before the first phase of their truce ends.

Israel has been delaying the release of over 600 Palestinians since Saturday in protest of what it calls Hamas' cruel treatment of hostages during their handover.

Hamas called the delay a "serious violation" of the ceasefire and said talks on a second phase are not possible until the Palestinians are freed.

Israel, along with the Red Cross and UN officials, have called the past ceremonies humiliating for the hostages.

Meanwhile, a Red Cross convoy carrying dozens of released Palestinian prisoners has been seen leaving Israel's Ofer prison.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office had said on Wednesday that the release of the bodies would be carried out without a ceremony, as opposed to past Hamas releases with stage-managed events in front of crowds.

Israel, along with the Red Cross and U.N. officials, have called the ceremonies humiliating for the hostages.

Expected in the release is an unspecified number of women and teenagers detained since the Hamas' October 7, 2023, attack on Israel.

The handover will complete both sides' obligations under the ceasefire's first phase.

Hamas broadcast themselves on Facebook holding the family hostage in their home as two younger children pleaded to let them go.

This latest release comes after the bodies of Shiri Bibas and her sons, nine-month-old Kfir and four-year-old Ariel, were handed over earlier this month.

The ceasefire's six-week first phase expires this weekend.

US President Donald Trump's Middle East envoy, Steve Witkoff, said he wants the sides to move into negotiations on the second phase, during which all remaining hostages held by Hamas would be released and an end to the war would be negotiated.

Talks on the second phase were supposed to begin in the first week of February.

The ceasefire, brokered by the US, Egypt and Qatar, ended 15 months of war that erupted after Hamas' 2023 attack on southern Israel that killed about 1,200 people and about 250 people were taken hostage.

Israel's military offensive has killed more than 48,000 Palestinians, according to Palestinian health officials.

The fighting has displaced about 90 per cent of Gaza's population and devastated the territory's infrastructure and health system.

Al-Qassam Brigades handed over the bodies to the ICRC team, and the team will deliver them to the Israeli army through the Kerem Shalom crossing in the southern Gaza Strip, a source with Hamas said.

According to a statement from Hamas's Media Office, 620 prisoners will be released from Israeli prisons, including 151 who were sentenced to life imprisonment. It is the largest group of Palestinians released in the first phase of the agreement. Among them, 445 are Gazans who were arrested after the war began, and 11 are Gazans who were detained before the war. In addition, 24 women and minors from Gaza will be released. A total of 43 prisoners will be released to the Israeli-controlled West Bank and East Jerusalem, while 97 will be deported abroad.

Show Full Article
TAGS:#Hamas#CeasefireIsrael war on Gaza
Next Story