Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
proflie-avatar
Login
exit_to_app
exit_to_app
Homechevron_rightIndiachevron_rightCase registered...

Case registered against Assam BJP social media convenors over CM Sarma’s video

text_fields
bookmark_border
Case registered against Assam BJP social media convenors over CM Sarma’s video
cancel

The Bengaluru Police have registered a case against the convenor and co-convenor of the Assam unit of the BJP over an AI-generated video that depicted Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma symbolically firing at two Muslim men, as reported by The Indian Express.

According to the report, the FIR was lodged on February 12 after a Congress worker in Karnataka complained that a video shared from the Assam BJP’s official social media account contained objectionable and provocative material. The complainant reportedly said the content had the potential to disturb public order and foster hostility between communities.

The clip, posted on X on February 7, was said to combine actual footage of the chief minister handling firearms with AI-generated visuals in which Muslims were portrayed as targets. The video reportedly carried captions with hostile slogans referring to “foreigners” and Bangladeshis. Following public criticism, the post was taken down.

The complaint, as cited in the report, maintained that because the content was shared from an official party handle with a large following, the visuals and captions together conveyed a threatening message that normalised and even glorified targeted violence against a religious minority. It further alleged that the video could create fear and insecurity among Muslims and provoke hatred or violence among certain sections of the public.

The FIR reportedly named Biswajit Khaund and Ron Bikash Gourav, who were said to be responsible for operating the party’s Assam unit X account. They were booked under provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita related to incitement to riot and the circulation of false or misleading material intended to promote hatred between groups, Scroll.in reported.

Police were quoted as saying that the matter was under investigation. The Assam BJP later described the post as unauthorised and irresponsible, and said one of the co-convenors of its state social media cell had been removed in connection with the incident. Separately, Sarma was reported to have said that a case had also been registered in Assam over the video.

Show Full Article
TAGS:Assam BJP
Next Story