‘In 2029 we will see Modi as Prime Minister again’: Devendra Fadnavis
text_fieldsNew Delhi: Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said on Monday that PM Modi ‘is our leader and will continue’ in office , dismissing Shiv Sena strongman Sanjay Raut’s claim that the Prime Minister will resign this year as he turns 75 on September 17.
Sanjay Raut claimed that PM Modi will resign based on the BJP’s unspoken rule of not allowing party leaders older that holding any ministerial berths, NDTV reported.
However, Devendra Fadnavis snapped back at Raut in Nagpur saying: ‘There is no need to search for his successor. He is our leader and will continue.’
However, NDTV reported citing the BJP that no such rule exists in the party and pointed to the example of 80-year-old Bihar leader Jitan Ram Manjhi continuing as the Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises Minister.
During the last Lok Sabha election campaign, the AAP's Arvind Kejriwal raised the question of PM Modi’s ‘future’ claiming that Home Minister Amit Shah was groomed for the role.
However, it is speculated again after the PM's visit to Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh head office in Nagpur last week.
Responding to PM Modi’s visit, Raut said ‘He probably went to the RSS headquarters to write his retirement application in September.’
Also, Raut claimed PM Modi’s successor would be from Maharashtra, adding that ‘the RSS will decide on that.’
Fadnavis quickly responded that ‘In 2029 we will see Modi as Prime Minister again,’ adding that ‘in our culture, when the father is alive, it is inappropriate to talk about succession. The time has not come to discuss it.’