Country representatives join the Palestinian Ambassador to the UN to condemn Israel's expansions into the West Bank. Photo: X/@NorwayUN

New Delhi: India was not listed among the 85 member countries of the United Nations that have issued a joint condemnation of what was described as Israel’s de facto expansion in the occupied West Bank.

The collective statement, shared on social media by the Palestinian Mission to the UN, was backed by a group of countries along with three international blocs — the League of Arab States, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation and the European Union.

Several individual countries were also among the signatories, including Algeria, Andorra, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chad, China, Colombia, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Denmark, Djibouti, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guyana, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Russian Federation, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Somalia, South Africa, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Tajikistan, The Gambia, Türkiye, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Republic of Tanzania, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Yemen, and Zimbabwe, The Wire reported.

The joint statement said the signatories had denounced what they described as unilateral Israeli steps intended to expand what they termed an unlawful presence in the West Bank, arguing that such actions ran contrary to Israel’s obligations under international law and should be rolled back without delay. They also reiterated their opposition to any form of annexation.

In recent months, Israel has stepped up construction activity in the occupied West Bank and moved to dismantle remaining administrative barriers that critics say stand in the way of full control over the territory. A government decision taken on February 15 is set to initiate a land regulation process that could enable the takeover of large swathes of land in the region.

According to an Associated Press report, the move revives “settlement of land title” procedures that had been suspended in the West Bank since the 1967 Middle East war. Under this process, individuals claiming ownership of land would be required to submit documentation. The Israeli anti-settlement group Peace Now was cited as warning that the step could amount to a large-scale seizure of land from Palestinians.

The statement drew attention because even countries that have consistently backed Israel’s military campaign in Gaza, including Germany, were among those criticising the West Bank move. It also noted that India, which had historically positioned itself as supportive of oppressed peoples, has in recent years openly aligned itself with Israel under Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

In June last year, when a large majority of United Nations member states backed a resolution calling for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza, the release of hostages held by Hamas and unhindered humanitarian access, India chose to abstain, saying that lasting peace could only come through direct talks. In 2024, India abstained on a resolution by the UN Human Rights Council seeking an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and an arms embargo on Israel.

In their statement, the countries said they rejected measures they said were aimed at altering the demographic makeup, character and status of Palestinian territory occupied since 1967, including East Jerusalem, arguing that such steps violated international law, undermined efforts toward peace and stability, and jeopardised prospects for a negotiated settlement.

They reaffirmed commitments outlined in the New York Declaration to take concrete steps, in line with international law, relevant UN resolutions and the July 19, 2024, advisory opinion of the International Court of Justice, to support the Palestinian people’s right to self-determination and to oppose what they described as illegal settlement policies, forcible displacement and annexation.

The signatories said they continued to see a just and lasting peace as possible only through ending the occupation that began in 1967 and implementing a two-state solution, with an independent and sovereign Palestine and Israel existing side by side within secure and recognised borders based on the 1967 lines, including arrangements concerning Jerusalem.

Separately, on February 17, António Guterres also voiced his personal condemnation of Israel’s actions.

Tags: