Jerusalem: Around 80,000 Muslim worshippers gathered at Al-Aqsa Mosque in occupied East Jerusalem for the first Friday prayers of Ramadan, despite tightened Israeli security measures and access restrictions, informed the Islamic Waqf Department, according to a report by Palestine’s Wafa News Agency.
Israeli forces deployed heavily across Jerusalem and at the entrances to the Old City and Al-Aqsa Mosque compound. The Jerusalem Governorate said thousands of Palestinians were prevented from reaching the site, with many turned back at the Qalandia checkpoint north of Jerusalem and Checkpoint 300 near Bethlehem to the south. Dozens of elderly worshippers were reportedly denied entry for lacking permits.
Security personnel also conducted identity checks at the gates of the mosque, and a number of young men were refused access. The Governorate said more than 300 orders had been issued barring Palestinian residents of Jerusalem from entering the mosque during Ramadan.
Tensions rose further after Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir visited the vicinity of Al-Aqsa on Friday. Footage circulated on social media showed the Zionist far-right leader entering through the Moroccan Gate, accompanied by Israeli Police Commissioner Daniel Levy and Jerusalem District Police Commander Avshalom Peled. The visit drew criticism from Palestinian officials, who described it as provocative.
The Moroccan Gate, located along the western wall of the compound near the Al-Buraq Wall, has been under Israeli control since 1967 and is frequently used by Israeli security forces to access the site.
Despite the heightened measures and restrictions, tens of thousands of worshippers were able to attend the prayers, marking the first Friday of