Photo: IANS

New Delhi: Former Rajya Sabha MP Saket Gokhale on Friday alleged that the Election Commission had declined to provide details of official visits undertaken by Chief Election Commissioner Gyanesh Kumar and the public expenditure incurred on them, classifying the information as “personal” under the Right to Information Act.

Gokhale said he had filed an RTI application on June 18 seeking details of all official domestic and foreign visits undertaken by Kumar since he became the CEC on February 19, 2025. The application also sought information about the expenses incurred from public funds.

According to a copy of the Election Commission’s July 31 response shared by Gokhale on X, the poll panel said that the information sought was exempt from disclosure under Section 8(1)(j) of the RTI Act as it related to personal information, Siasat Daily reported.

The RTI application had sought the number of domestic and foreign visits, along with the dates, destinations, purpose and mode of travel. It also requested details of officials accompanying the CEC at government expense and a breakdown of spending on travel, accommodation, daily allowances, local transport and other expenses.

Gokhale questioned how expenditure on official visits funded by public money could be treated as personal information. He also pointed out that the cost of the prime minister’s foreign travel had been disclosed in Parliament and questioned why similar details regarding the CEC’s visits could not be made public.

He further asked what the Election Commission was attempting to conceal by refusing to disclose the expenditure and alleged that the poll body had lacked accountability and transparency since Kumar took charge.

Gokhale claimed that the Election Commission had become a “black hole” and alleged that it was being run without adequate public accountability. He also linked his criticism to issues including the Special Intensive Revision of electoral rolls and the use of public funds.

According to the copy of the RTI reply shared by Gokhale, the application was limited to completed official visits that had been wholly or partly funded with public money. It did not seek information about future travel plans, real-time movements or security, escort and protocol arrangements.

The Election Commission did not immediately respond to the allegations.


Tags: