Photo: Sanatan Rashtra Shankhnad Mahotsav/Facebook

RTI reveals govt paid ₹63 Lakh for Sanatan event where speakers spoke of ‘removal’ of Muslims

The BJP-led Union government was reported to have provided public funds for an event organised by Sanatan Sanstha, at which speakers allegedly called for India to be declared a Hindu nation and made remarks targeting Muslims, including demands for large-scale removals, forced conversions and deportations, according to a report by The Quint.

As part of its “Uncovering Hate” investigation into networks promoting communal rhetoric, The Quint said it had filed Right to Information applications with the relevant ministries to determine whether government money had been used for the programme. In its reply, the Ministry of Culture stated that it had sanctioned ₹63 lakh to Sanatan Sanstha and its ashram at Ramnathi in Ponda, Goa, for organising the “Sanatan Rashtra Shankhnad Mahotsav” held from December 13 to 15, 2025, at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi.

The ministry said the funding was released as part of the commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the national song “Vande Mataram,” and added that it did not have a detailed item-wise account of how the money was spent, Maktoob Media reported.

The grant came under scrutiny after reports emerged that the event featured hate speech and calls for establishing a “Hindu Rashtra.” Multiple speakers were reported to have made remarks advocating sweeping demographic and political changes aimed at Muslims.

Among those cited was Suresh Chavhanke of Sudarshan TV, who was reported to have claimed that a section of Muslims in India were “infiltrators” from neighbouring countries and urged the implementation of the NRC to remove them, along with calling for limits on the Muslim population.

BJP leader Ashwini Upadhyay was quoted as having suggested that Muslims be converted to Hinduism, allegedly invoking fear of the government and encouraging Hindus to actively pursue conversions, including by exerting influence in workplaces.

Rahul Dewan of the Hindu Fund was reported to have spoken of adopting what he described as an “offensive strategy” to establish a constitutional Hindu nation. He was also quoted as making remarks invoking mass violence through references to explosive substances being mixed with food.

Reacting to the disclosures, Aditya Menon, editor of The Quint, questioned the government’s decision to fund the programme. He was reported to have said that the issue was not the size of the grant but why taxpayers’ money was being used to support an event where calls were allegedly made for the “cleansing” of a community, and argued that public funds should not be used to back programmes that, in his view, run counter to constitutional values by advocating a “Hindu Rashtra.”

Tags: