Photo: Maktoob
Mehbooba Mufti on Tuesday alleged that FIRs had been registered against people who attended the funeral of former Jamaat-e-Islami chief and Islamic scholar Sheikh Ghulam Hassan in Kulgam, describing the move as a “witch hunt”.
Hassan, a former leader of the now-banned organisation, passed away on Sunday. Thousands attended his funeral the next day in the Tarigam area of Kulgam, Maktoob Media reported.
According to local residents, the funeral remained peaceful, although several speakers addressed the gathering and spoke about Hassan’s contributions as well as the role of Jamaat-e-Islami. Reports also claimed that pro-Jamaat slogans were raised during the event.
Mufti visited Hassan’s family on Tuesday to offer condolences and express solidarity with them. Speaking to reporters, she said that those attending the funeral had spoken out of grief and emotion over the death of a respected Islamic scholar and former Jamaat leader, and argued that such remarks should not be treated as anti-national.
She also appealed to Omar Abdullah and Manoj Sinha to intervene and halt action against the mourners.
In a post on X, Mufti said: “A highly respected Islamic scholar and former Jamaat-e-Islami chief, thousands attended his funeral. It is unfortunate that mourners have been slapped with FIRs merely for expressing grief and emotions. Request Omar Abdullah and Manoj Sinha to stop this witch hunt.”
Meanwhile, Altaf Bukhari, president of the Jammu and Kashmir Apni Party, also stated on X that if the reports were accurate, filing FIRs against individuals who spoke at the condolence gathering was deeply regrettable and conveyed a disturbing message.
The Ministry of Home Affairs had banned Jamaat-e-Islami in 2019 under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act for five years, and the ban was later extended in February 2024 until 2029.
In a broader crackdown on institutions associated with the organisation, the Government of Jammu and Kashmir took over 58 additional private schools allegedly linked to Jamaat-e-Islami in April, after more than 200 such schools in the Valley were taken over in August last year.