Judicial panel members record statements related to Sambhal violence

The Shahi Jama Masjid in Sambhal, UP (file photo)

Judicial panel members record statements related to Sambhal violence

AddThis Website Tools

Sambhal, UP: A three-member commission appointed by the Uttar Pradesh government to look into the violence that broke out here in November of last year over a court-ordered survey of a mosque from the Mughal era recorded statements from people on Friday. The violence claimed four lives and injured numerous others.

The panel, which includes former high court judge Devendra Arora, ex-police chief Arvind Kumar Jain and former Uttar Pradesh additional chief secretary Amit Mohan Prasad, visited Sambhal on December 1, 2024, and January 21 and 30. During the last visit, statements of officials were recorded.

During its fourth visit on Friday, advocate Vishnu Shankar Jain, who claimed that Sambhal's Shahi Jama Masjid was a Hindu temple, recorded his statement.

"I was called by the judicial commission through a notice. They called me to give my statement and present my side on whatever happened on November 19 and November 24," Jain told reporters.

"We told the judicial commission in detail how stone-pelting and arson happened, who were the masterminds of this violence and what were the reasons for the violence," he said.

Speaking to reporters, panel member and former police chief Arvind Kumar Jain said the statements of those who had given affidavits and also of those who had submitted applications have been recorded.

"Statements of 29 people have been recorded today and the rest will be done tomorrow," he said.

Asked whether the statements of the officers had also been recorded, he answered in the affirmative. Today, statements of ADM have been recorded, the former DGP said, adding the statements of doctors have also been recorded.

Tension had been brewing in Sambhal since November 19 last year when the court-ordered survey of the Shahi Jama Masjid was carried out following claims that a Harihar temple previously stood at the site.

On November 24, during a second round of the survey, protesting locals clashed with security personnel which led to the death of four people and injuries to dozens. 


With PTI inputs

Tags:    



AddThis Website Tools