Photo: IANS

FSSAI crack down on major food brands; 150 notices issued

The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has issued more than 150 notices to food companies in recent months over alleged misleading advertisements, false claims and violations of labelling regulations.

In an update shared on social media on Saturday, the food regulator said its recent enforcement drive had targeted several major brands. The companies named include Nestle India, PepsiCo, Abbott India, Red Bull India, Danone India, Monster Energy India, Hell Energy, Mondelez India, Coca-Cola India, Diageo, Pernod Ricard, Ferrero India and Kenvue Inc, according to media reports.

The FSSAI said it had taken action against various food business operators for what it described as serious violations of food safety laws and regulations. Its enforcement efforts have also focused on manufacturers and sellers of energy drinks and alcoholic beverages.

As part of the action, the regulator said products belonging to several companies had been seized for alleged violations.

The regulator has also acted against e-commerce platforms. It said 12 notices had been issued to companies including Amazon and Flipkart.

The FSSAI added that the licence of one Amazon warehouse had been cancelled as part of its enforcement measures.

More than 30 notices have also been issued to food service establishments, including KFC, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Domino's and Costa Coffee.

According to the regulator, five Domino's licences have been suspended. The FSSAI had also issued notices to several five-star hotels last year as part of its efforts to ensure compliance with food safety and labelling requirements.

Earlier this week, the FSSAI said several companies had begun taking corrective steps after receiving notices from the regulator.

The enforcement drive comes amid increased scrutiny of food businesses over advertising claims, product labelling and compliance with food safety regulations.


Tags: