New Delhi: Former Assam Congress president Bhupen Bora, who resigned from the Congress ahead of the elections, has joined the BJP. Former Congress worker Sanju Bora has also joined the BJP along with Bhupan. A few days ago, Bhupen Bora submitted his resignation letter, but the Congress did not accept it. Subsequently, senior Congress leaders had reached Bora's residence and tried to persuade him. Rahul Gandhi also spoke to him.
Although Bhupen Bora had sought time to reconsider his decision, Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma announced that he was joining the BJP the day after he visited Bora's house. Assam PCC President Gaurav Gogoi said that Bora's resignation will not affect the party's chances in the elections.
Bhupen Borah had alleged earlier this week that he was publicly humiliated by senior Congress leader Gaurav Gogoi and that the party high command failed to act despite his complaint. Speaking to news agency ANI on Wednesday, Borah said he had devoted 32 years to the Congress party. “Congress made me from an MLA to APCC president. When I became president in 2021, the party was in alliance with AIUDF. I broke that alliance. Even before the INDIA bloc was formed, I forged alliances with 16 parties,” he said.
Borah claimed that during a by-election, it had been decided that one seat would be allotted to CPI(ML), but the candidate’s name was changed at the last minute to someone who had never been a Congress member. “Gaurav Gogoi couldn’t win that seat,” he alleged.
Referring to alliance discussions earlier this month, Borah said that during a February 9 video conference, he was asked to rebuild alliances. “I began discussions. On February 11, Gogoi said I should take Rakibul Hussain along. But on February 13, he publicly said I had created confusion. I asked why he humiliated me in front of everyone, but he gave no answer,” Borah said. He added that he informed Rahul Gandhi about the matter but did not receive any response.